What to see in Bad Schandau
This historic electrical tram started its service back in 1898 and connects Bad Schandau town centre, along a 7.4 km long stretch, to the Kirnitzsch Valley. There are 8 stops to hop on and off along the valley and follow one of the numerous walking paths into the Elbe Sandstone Mountains.
The walkway and cycle path along the River Elbe stretches for 2.6 km from one end of Bad Schandau (bridge) past the ferry stops and the town centre with its tourist information and continues further to the village of Postelwitz, which forms part of Bad Schandau. Take a stroll and enjoy the view of the majestic rocks or let your soul wander.
Come, see and discover the botanical gardens of Bad Schandau, which houses plants growing in cooler climates from all over the world as well as plants that you will find only in Saxon Switzerland. It has been the aim of the garden since its opening in 1902 to preserve the secrets of the flora of this region in its 5400 sqm of grounds.
Museum in Bad Schandau
The museum was founded in 1940 and tells of the geological history of the surrounding landscape with its impressive woods and rock formations. It also touches on subjects such as rock climbing, tourism, shipping history on the River Elbe and how Bad Schandau came into being. A permanent exhibition about ethnologist Erich Wustmanns shows exhibits from his travels around the world.
The gardens were established in 1873 and refurbished in 1994. They offer a place of peace and rest for local people and tourists alike. Among attractions are a fountain built from sandstone and granite and an open air stage that hosts concerts during the summer months.
Built in 1896 and funded by Rudolf Sendig, this fountain was the centrepiece for Bad Schandau’s market square and an architectural highlight. The splendour of the fountain led to Bad Schandau becoming known as “the pearl of Saxon Switzerland”.
St. John’s church
This lovely church dating back to the 14th and 15th Century was built in late Gothic style. Its two-storey Renaissance sandstone altar was initially meant to embellish the Church of the Holy Cross in Dresden.